Blurbs and Useful Stats
This page contains brief blurbs and other content that you can use to help promote the Hour of Code and CSEdWeek.
Some shocking statistics (USA)
- Nine in ten parents want their child to study computer science, but only one in four schools teach computer programming.
- Computing makes up 2/3 of projected new jobs in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math).
- Computing occupations are among the highest-paying jobs for new graduates. Yet fewer than 3% of college students graduate with a degree in computer science, and only 8% of STEM graduates are in computer science.
- In 22 states, computer science classes don’t count toward math or science high school graduation requirements.
- Only 22 percent of AP Computer Science students are women. Only 13% are Black/African American or Hispanic/Latino.